Adult Protective Services
The Adult Protective Services (APS) Program was established to investigate reports and provide intervention and protection to vulnerable adults who are victims of abuse, neglect, or exploitation. The Dearborn and Ohio Prosecutor's Office is the regional hub for Adult Protective Services, Area XII. Area XII is a vast region. It consists of Dearborn, Fayette, Franklin, Jefferson, Ohio, Ripley, Rush, Union, Swizerland ane Wayne Counties.
If the APS Unit has reason to believe that an individual is an endangered adult, the adult protective services unit shall investigate the complaint or cause the complaint to be investigated by law enforcement or other agency and make a determination as to whether the individual reported is an endangered adult. To be eligible for service under this program, an individual must be a resident of the state of Indiana, 18 years of age or older, physically or mentally incapacitated and reported as abused, neglected or exploited.
Types of Abuse
- Physical – Inflicting physical pain or injury
- Financial – Misusing, mishandling or exploiting a person’s property, possessions, or financial assets through manipulation or fraud.
- Sexual – Any sexual activity to which the elderly person does not consent or is incapable of consenting.
- Emotional – Verbal assaults, threats or abuse, harassment or intimidation.
- Confinement – Restraining or isolating a person by force or threats.
- Neglect – Failure to provide life’s necessity including food, clothing, shelter and/or medical care by someone with the duty to do so.
What To Do If You Suspect Elder Abuse
If an older adult is in immediate, life threatening danger, call 911. If you think someone you know is being abused physically, emotionally, or financially, talk with him or her when the two of you are alone. You can say "you think something is wrong and you are worried. Offer to take him or her to get help. All calls are confidential.
Call our Adult Protection Services Agency
Indiana State Hotline: 1-800-992-6978
Local: (812) 537-8862
Sandy Fairfield (812) 537-8862 or Debbie Granatir (812) 532-3288
Kristie Connley (812) 537-8724 Suellen Cauble (812) 537-8722